Wednesday, August 11, 2010

add this to the collection

I came across another turn of phrase I'd like to add to my growing collection. I'm reading through Steve Mason's very interesting and easy-to-read Josephus and the New Testament (second edition; Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2003), which I've assigned for my World of the New Testament course. Notice Mason's wonderful description of Josephus' historical accuracy in the Life relative to Josephus' narration of events in War:
While referring the read to the War for more details (Life 27, 412), he blithely contradicts the earlier account at every turn. This almost aggressive carelessness may in fact be a deliberate clue to his purposes. (124; my emphasis)

"Aggressive carelessness." Mason could almost be describing the average driver in East Tennessee.

No comments:

My Visual Bookshelf